|Please Upload that Image!|
|Genre||Animated television short|
|Created by||Will McRobb|
|Starring|| Mischa Barton|
|Country of origin||USA|
|No. of episodes||13|
|Running time||40 seconds|
|Original run||1996 – 2000|
The Offbeats is a Nickelodeon short created by Wil McRobb. It's about the group of unpopular friends who deal with constant problems, many caused by their main rivals, a popular clique known as "The Populars." The short was the first of the regular shorts to end, most likely due to Mo Willems going over to Cartoon Network to work on Sheep in the Big City. It originally aired as stand-alone shorts in between Nick's commercial breaks, and was released on a 1996 Rugrats video, "Tommy Troubles", most likely to promote the premiere of KaBlam!. It was later released on the Nickelodeon Picks! 2013 DVD as the bonus short.
- Betty Anne Bongo - Betty Anne is the realistically thinking "leader" of the clique. She usually can be found playing her bongo set. She also often sang her own little theme song, the lyrics consisting of: "My name is Betty Anne Bongo, I sing this little song-O, I sing it all day long-O!" Voiced by Mischa Barton.
- Tommy - Tommy loves his plaid coat, so much so that in one episode it is the basis for the plot. On numerous occasions he will break his calm demeanor and lose his temper, usually startling his friends and himself. Voiced by Mark Wagner.
- Repunzil - Repunzil is the youngest in the clique, and at times can be quite naive. She is known for her floor-length hair (which is why she was named somewhat for the fairy tale character Rapunzel).
- August - August is the most technologically inclined of the Offbeats, even though his inventions, are most of the time, failures. He is also the person who most wants to be liked by the populars. In one episode, he actually did gain respect from them, in the end only to be foiled by his love for paddle-ball.
- September - August's sarcastic talking dog, usually ambivalent to most situations and plot-lines. Despite that, he does enjoy the company of the Offbeats. He is voiced by series creator Mo Willems.
- Grubby Groo - The beatnik-looking adult friend to the Offbeats, and the only one who realizes how big of jerks the populars are. He is also voiced by creator Mo Willems. He was based on a beatnik poet that appeared in an animated segment on Sesame Street.
- Tina — Tina is the leader of the Populars, who rules them with an iron fist. She is something of a stereotypical "school diva". If any of the Offbeats start thinking that they are cool, Tina's always around to set them straight.
- The Populars — The popular group at school that always travels in a nose-in-the air clump. They are led by Tina (see above). One boy in this group is constantly thrown out of The Populars (Either because of something he says or to make room for a new member).