Chalkzone: The Next Generation, known in Japan as Rettsugo! Chalkzone Z (レッツゴー！チョークゾーンZ Rettsugo! Chokuzon Z , roughly Let's Go! Chalkzone Z) is a Japanese anime series based on the American animated television series Chalkzone. The anime is co-produced by Nickelodeon Japan and Aniplex and was animated by Toei Animation, featuring character design by Miho Shimogasa (of Sailor Moon fame). As production occurred in Japan, Bill Burnett and Larry Huber, the original creators of Chalkzone, was not directly involved with the project.
The Series aired in Japan on TV Tokyo in October 2012. Since August 2, 2012, it has also aired on Nickelodeon Japan. An English-dubbed version produced by The Ocean Group aired by Nickelodeon on their Super Jump Punch channel and also on Nickelodeon in North America on November 2012. A manga of the same name ran in Shueisha's Ribon magazine between 2012 and 2013.
Rudy Tabootie, now 15-years old, attend a high school. But anything makes a continuity since his last adventure. Along with Penny, who is also 15, and his sidekick Snap, Rudy must use his magical chalk in order to protect Chalkzone from new villains such as Senshei (Snap's cousin) and Rudy's long time nemesis, the Skrawl.
The Z TeamEdit
- Rudolph Bartholomew “Rudy” Tabootie (ルディ アーク Rudi Tabuti )
- Voiced by: Shunsuke Kazama (Japanese), Sean Schemmel (English)
- The self proclaimed leader of the Z Team, Rudy is a adventurous boy with a fascination with challenges and a main protagonist of the series. Like his American counterpart, he had the ability to draw with his own magic chalk he had when he was 8-years old. Unlike his American counterpart, Rudy has no buck tooth. When in Chalkzone, he was assisted by Snap.
- Penelope Victoria “Penny” Sanchez (ペニーサンチェス Peni Sanchiesu )
- Voiced by: Mayumi Iizuka (Japanese), Veronica Taylor (English)
- The smartest member of the Z Team, Penny is Rudy's crush and a tomboy who loves science. She lives with her family, her father of which is a scientist. When in Chalkzone, she was assisted by Blocky.
- Aurora Victoria Sanchez (オーロラサンチェス Orora Sanchiesu )
- Voiced by: Ikue Ohtani (Japanese), Cathy Weseluck (English)
- A young girl, the 8 year-old sister of Penny Sanchez who is somewhat responsible for make Rudy hard. While she considers grade school life fun, she has made several friends, including Maria (Rudy's younger sister). Aurora interchanges between calling Penny Sis and Penny. Aurora bares a strong resemblance to Penny, but without glasses. When in Chalkzone, she was assisted by Pip.
Assistants of the Z TeamEdit
- Snap (スナップ Sunappu )
- Voiced by: Motoko Kumai (Japanese), Candi Milo (English)
- Snap is a small, blue superhero drawing that is Rudy's assistant and a best friend. Like his American counterpart, he was adventurous and witty, and is a main protagonist of the series. He had a cousin named Senshei, who look identical to him. Created by Rudy when he was 8 years old. He is a little stubborn when someone doesn't listen to him and isn't really easy to get along with Penny. He has shown to be an assistant of Rudy's. He has shown to have a huge crush on Queen Rapsheeba like his original counterpart. Unlike his American counterpart, Snap gains the ability to fly and was able to transform into any living things and objects. He also had to transform into Giga Snap. Snap's shouts prompt Rudy and his friends to go inside Chalkzone if he's in trouble.
- Blocky (ブロッキー Burokki )
- Voiced by: Yuji Ueda (Japanese), Eric Stuart (English)
- Blocky is Rudy's first-ever drawing who appear as the assistant to Penny. He was created by Rudy to act as his child, but was stolen by Senshei take revenge on humanity before being struck with Balloonemia. Unlike his American counterpart, Blocky had no arms and no mouth.
- Pip (ピップ Pippu )
- Voiced by: Shin'ichirō Miki (Japanese), Matt Hill (English)
- A red robotic cat made of chalk. Pip has a considerable boost in intelligence. Additionally, Pip can summon the Rudy's drawing powers, even when he losts his magic chalk. Pip is also capable of identify out those who are affected by the disease, particles, etc.The citizens of Chalkzone been sniffed by Pip are stored in his data banks for later reference. This ability, however, is hindered if his target is wearing heavy cosmetics. In the Japanese version, Pip's phrases always end with a meow (or "nyan," literally his meow). He is also able to understand Chalkzone cats. It is possible Pip is based after Peach/Poochi from the Powerpuff Girls Z series.
- The Skrawl
- The Skrawl is physically more powerful than the original version of the character, able to fly and lay a dozen punches at one time. This version of the Skrawl frequently displays an immature attitude and makes the most childish flaws throughout his plans. While the original Skrawl was portrayed as one of the most competent and genuinely threatening villains in the series, the anime version is more of a rather inept comic relief and is seen by the Z-Team as more of an annoying nuisance than a dangerous enemy. The anime Skrawl also does not repeat himself redundantly as the original Skrawl does, instead in the Japanese version, ending most sentences with saying "desu". However, like the Z-Team, he was assisted by the Beanie Boys. Voiced by Jim Cummings.
- Senshei is Snap's cousin. He looks almost like Snap, but he's in red instead of blue. He is in the same school as Snap does. He was later brainwashed by the Skrawl in,which causes him to transform into Giga Senshei. His powers are used based on his wants to be recognized by people. He has an older brother named Mike, who does everything better than him, and even draws attention by their parents. He has a bird named Ruby, whose screech causes Senshei's transformation. In the English dub, he is voiced by Scott McNeil.
- The Craniacs
- A series of robot drawings obsessed with collecting futuristic devices. The current version is Craniac 4, drawn by Rudy to get rid of Craniac 3. In the anime, the Craniacs aren't very doubtful. In the English dub, they are voiced by Rob Paulsen.
- Queen Rapsheeba
- ChalkZone's song artist. Snap has had a crush on her all day, but Rudy has to stop him. In the English dub, She is voiced by Rosslynn Taylor.
- Cat Girl in the Kimono
- A drawing Rudy made, replaces Granny in the Bathtub in the anime.
A manga adaptation, illustrated by Shiho Komiyuno, was published in Shueisha's Ribon magazine between 2011 and June 2012.